The move toward DIY is enormous, and has infiltrated the world of moving to a new home. Not only does a DIY move from Toronto to Montreal, or Mississauga to Quebec, save money, but it can also be efficient. The trick is to make sure to plan the move to ensure that everything goes as planned.
The following dozen DIY tips have proven especially useful for families around Canada who are preparing for a move:
- Rent a truck yourself, and plan to load and unload with the help of friends and family members.
- Go through all your items before the big move. Get rid of anything you don’t want or won’t use. That way, you won’t have to waste time hauling it to your new location.
- Rent plastic moving boxes and other moving supplies from a source in Canada like Blue Bins, and have the boxes for moving dropped off at your old home, and then picked up at your new one after you’re finished with them.
- Move during the week, rather than on the weekend.
- Pack everything yourself, and make sure to label your plastic moving boxes according to where the contents should wind up in your new residence.
- After you move out of your old home, plan to clean it from top to bottom. Though you could hire someone else to clean it for you, it’s cheaper if you do it instead.
- Eat as many of the foods in your refrigerator and pantry as you can before you move. Who wants to have to haul groceries from one location to another?
- Be realistic when you consider how much time it’s going to take to move everything out of your old house and into your new one. You don’t want to be in a rush, because you’ll be more tempted to lift your moving boxes incorrectly.
- Rent plastic dollies to make stacking and moving your boxes simple.
- Before you move into your new house, give it a thorough cleaning. It will be more inviting on the family’s first night there.
- Take apart furniture like tables and beds when possible. This makes moving them easier.
- Keep plenty of water and snacks on hand. Moving is hard on the body, and you’ll need some ways to refresh yourself!
# # #