What can you learn about summer moving from the leader in Mississauga moving supplies? Plenty! Not only have we helped tons of homeowners move during the warmest season of the year, but we’re ready to share our knowledge with you.
Without further ado, here are our top eight tips for moving when it’s summertime:
- Drink lots of water. Remember how your mother always said that you had to stay hydrated? Turns out she was right! Have a bottle of water on hand at all times, and drink up throughout the day. If you’re feeling thirsty, you’re already dehydrated, so don’t allow yourself to get to that level. Hate the taste of plain water? Add slices of lemon, lime or orange and some ice cubes for a tasty pick-me-up!
- Be careful moving during thunderstorms. You want to get a move over as fast as you can, but when lightning is near, it’s time to step back. Many times, thunderstorms pass quickly, so wait it out. Never, ever carry metal objects outside during a lightning storm.
- Wear sunscreen. Think you’ll only be in the moving truck and your old/new house? Think again! You’ll be running to and from all day, and that means your skin will be exposed to UVA and UVB rays. Protect yourself by wearing sunscreen that’s listed as broad spectrum.
- Eat something. Many times, we forget to eat something the moving of a move because we’re so doggone anxious and excited! However, this just leaves us with zero fuel in the tank. Eat a little something in the morning, and it will help you go for several hours without suddenly crashing. (Hint: A cup of coffee alone doesn’t count.)
- Plan to deal with bugs. Ah, bugs. They’re the scourge of the summer, aren’t they? It wouldn’t be summertime without insects, and they’ll happily fly into your new home, as well as your old one. Plan for this possibility, because it’s likely to happen.
- Get some floor protectors. Save yourself the heartache of discovering an enormous oil stain on your carpet, and invest in some rubber floor runners. You can get them at an affordable price, and they’ll help you avoid having to purchase new carpeting or heavy-duty carpet cleaning services.
- Send little kids elsewhere for the day. Little kids get hot, sweaty and tired very quickly, especially during a summer move. Let your tots chill out with friends or family members instead of having to watch their toys go from an old house to a new one. They’ll have a much better moving day, and so will you.
- Don’t put everything in the moving van. Have candles you love? Don’t let them go into the non-air conditioned moving van, which will get hotter than you could imagine! Your candles will just become a drippy mess. This goes for children’s crayons, too. Instead, put them all in your Blue Bins moving box and pop them into the back seat of your car.