Simplify. Simplify. Simplify. If that isn’t your daily mantra, you’re missing out! You’re also going to wind up spinning your wheels on moving day. Whether you’re relocating to Montreal for the first time, or you’re moving from one part of the city to the other, there are several tips to make your relocation a piece of cake. In fact, when you’re done, have an extra slice as a treat for being so smart!
- Pack an overnight bag the night before your move.Pretend you’re heading to a vacation instead of your new home. That way, you won’t have to dig through boxes or bags to find something as important as a toothbrush!
- Use your clothes and towels to wrap valuables.Bubble wrap and peanuts are awesome, but you might not need them again for years. Instead of investing in those types of moving supplies, use your clothing and towels to wrap valuables and breakables. It’s like you’re getting two uses for the price of one!
- Rent plastic boxes for moving instead of cardboard ones.This is a total no-brainer. Not only won’t you have to invest in packing tape, but all your boxes for moving will be uniform in size. They’ll stack easily, and store easily. If you partner with Blue Bins, you can even have them delivered to your old Montreal home and picked up at your new one.
- Label each room by color.Choose a color for each room in your house instead of labeling your boxes with “Bedroom #1” and “Bedroom #2”. The people moving your items won’t necessarily understand which room you’re talking about, and your boxes could wind up in the wrong rooms.
- Put small items in labeled sandwich bags.Rather than tossing all those tiny items into a box and figuring you’ll sort them out later, sort them out now. Use a permanent marker on a sandwich bag to label the items.
- Buy food for your new house before moving day.It’s such a relief to get to your new home and find the refrigerator filled with fresh, cool food and drinks!
- Use your phone instead of your memory. Not sure how you’re ever going to remember how to reconnect your television or computer? Take a picture of the wiring with your smart phone. You’ll have an easy-to-follow pictorial!
- Make a list of all the places that will need to have your new address immediately. Start the list sooner rather than later so you aren’t surprised, and you don’t miss any bills… or checks.
- Give the kids a break from the action. Arrange to have children go to a friend’s house if you’re just moving across town. If you’re moving into Montreal from a longer distance, ask a relative to come with you and take the kids out to play at a park, or get something to eat.
No matter how you make your next move as simplified as possible, know that Blue Bins is awaiting your call! We’ll be happy to help you relocate throughout Quebec.